This is a FastForward Grant Program:
These programs are short-term training courses resulting in industry credentials for high-demand professions in our region. If you have been a Virginia resident for at least the past 12 months, you may be able to take this class for 1/3 of the full cost (FastForward price).
If you need additional financial assistance
, see our Workforce Financial Assistance Grant
information or contact our office via phone (540-868-7021) or email WorkforceAID@LaurelRidge.edu
prior to registering.
Commercial Drivers License CDL-A Program Pricing:
- Regular/Full Price: $4,500
- FastForward Price: $1,500
- FastForward plus FANTIC Price: $0
- A valid, unrestricted driver's license. This license does not have to be issued in the state of Virginia. The program is able to test a student with any license issued within the United States.
- Be a qualified Virginia Resident (domiciled) to qualify for FastForward pricing. If you are not a Virginia resident or do not qualify for FastForward, you would pay the regular/full price of the program.
- The ability to pass a DOT physical and a drug screen prior to the start of class.
- Students should possess a CDL Learner's Permit prior to registering for the program. Students should go to their local DMV office to obtain their CDL Learner's Permit. Refer to the Commerical Driver License Manual for test prep.
- Call or come into our office (Corron 103) to register for this class. We can:
- Assist you with completing the FastForward agreement
- Discuss tuition assistance options if you qualify financially
- Provide you with a Commerical Driver License Manual
- Assist you with the CDL specific registration process that provides a voucher for your DOT physical and drug screening
With a national and local CDL driver shortage, trucking companies are hiring! Local, regional, and national employers cannot find enough commercial drivers.
offers Entry Level Driver Training to obtain a Commercial Driver's License. Training is tailored to meet the new FMCSA regulation requiring all entry-level CDL drivers, or existing Class B drivers looking to upgrade to a Class A, complete a specific program by a school on the Training Provider Registry. Students will participate in classroom, range, and On-The-Road Training. Classroom training will cover topics such as basic control, safe operating procedures, distracted driving, hazard perception, vehicle systems, and much more. Range training consists of Pre-Trip Inspection, Straight Line Backing, Off-Set Backing, and Parallel Parking, all of which are required to pass the DMV skills test. On-The-Road training covers speed and space management, and many other control topics. Our program uses automatic transmission trucks. Upon satisfactory completion of the required curriculum and a demonstration of the skill set needed to pass the DMV exam, the DMV skills test will be scheduled. Once students pass the skills test and their CDL is issued, they will receive a Certificate of Completion.
We offer Weekday
- WEEKDAY PROGRAM runs Monday-Thursday, 7 am - 5:30 pm for six weeks.
- WEEKEND PROGRAM runs Saturday & Sunday, 7 am - 5:30 pm for twelve consecutive weekends.
During training, multiple recruiters will hold recruiting sessions to discuss career opportunities.
What is Expected:
Students are expected to dedicate themselves to the program with consistent, on-time attendance for the duration of the weekday/weekend program. Due to the accelerated nature of this program, both classroom and hands-on, it is imperative that students regularly attend class daily and on time. The trucking industry is logistic-based and requires its drivers to deliver goods in a timely manner, so we can't recommend a student to an employer if they had an attendance issue. Within the program, students must adhere to the same timely schedule to ensure a foundation of good work habits is set prior to entering the workforce. Poor/unacceptable attendance/performance may result in (1) dismissal from the program, (2) repayment of $1,500 if they received FastForward funding and ultimately, (3) failure to obtain a CDL license.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be eligible to test at a DMV testing facility to obtain their state CDL license which is issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. The CDL program will schedule and provide the vehicle for the skills exam.